Here at Helen Breeze Property Management we know that becoming a landlord is a big responsibility. That’s why our dedicated team are here to help you through the lettings process from start to finish.
In order to protect you and your investment, as well as ensure your tenants are safe and happy in their home, we will ensure you meet all legal requirements.
Primarily as a landlord you will need to:
- Obtain an Energy Performance Certificate for the property you wish to let.
- Check your tenant has the right to rent if in England – if not you could risk a fine.
- Make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained.
- Fit and test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms and follow fire safety regulations for flats.
- Protect your tenant’s deposit in a government-approved scheme.
- Provide each tenant with a copy of the “How to rent” guide.
- Keep your rental properties safe and free from health hazards.
- Provide a tenancy agreement that includes the rent and utility costs, how and when you’ll review the rent, your full name and address and/or that of your letting agent.
- You must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about your rental income as you may have to pay tax.
Although it may seem overwhelming at first glance we will be there every step of the way.
If you would like to find out more about your legal requirements simply book a consultation with us or visit GOV.UK Renting Out Your Property Guide. The appropriate links on this page will take you to further information on their website.