Renting guide

Our Guide for Tenants

Looking for a new rental property is not always easy, especially when you are relocating or are unsure of the area. Here at Helen Breeze we aim to make the process as easy as possible.


Finding a home

We advertise all our homes on RightMove and Zoopla as well as here on our website. So you can sign up for notifications whenever something suitable comes on the market.

When you find a property with us you would like to rent and have had a good look around we will put your offer to the Landlord. When your offer is accepted, it will still be subject to contract and references.

We will then send you an application form to complete which you should return along with completed reference forms.

We will take the property off the market for at least a week whilst we take up references. This gives you time to read through the tenancy agreement. Once references are accepted, we will ask for the deposit to be paid, which is normally equivalent to five weeks rent, and the tenancy agreement to be signed.

The first month’s rent will be required in cleared funds prior to the start of the tenancy. We can take payments through internet banking, cash, cheque or bankers draft. Sorry no credit or debit cards can be accepted!

Your Deposit

Where the tenancy agreement is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, once your deposit has been received, it will be registered within a ‘secured scheme’, as required by law since 2007. At HBPM, we use The Dispute Service. At the end of the let, the property will be ‘checked-out’ and then the deposit will be returned to you, less any agreed deductions. Where agreement cannot be reached between the Landlord and Tenant any disputed amount will be sent to The Dispute Service for arbitration.

The Dispute Service is an independent, not-for-profit, company established in 2003 to resolve tenancy deposit disputes in the private rented sector. The Dispute Service operate the Tenancy Deposit Scheme in accordance with the requirements of the Housing Act 2004. This provides a dispute resolution service should a dispute about the allocation of a deposit arise at the end of the tenancy.

See for more details or contact our offices.

Insuring Your Contents

Your Landlord will insure the buildings and any of their contents in the property, so you will only need to take out your own contents insurance if you want them covered. We do recommend that you insure the building and contents from accidental damage caused by you, or even a guest. You can get a quote from Homelet.

Outgoings and Costs

The exact cost of your rent and utilities will be specified in your lease. Usually your utilities include Council Tax, Electricity, Gas or Oil, Water and Waste water.


For tenancy fees & costs for new tenancies after 1 June 2019 see here…

If you have any questions about the process please do give us a call.